Springfield M1 Garand
Brought to you by the Delta Project in collaboration with Eric Boccara
The Springfield M1 Garand was one of the earliest semi-automatic rifles, and was widely used by the U.S. Army from 1936 to 1957. Its distinctive loading system used en bloc clips, eight bullets loaded in a clip that was automatically ejected (with a distinctive ping that enemies learned to listen for) when empty. The clip could also be ejected manually, and skilled operators could even insert single bullets into the vacant slots of a loaded clip.
The clip held .30-06 Springfield ammunition, whose formidable power combined with the rifle's rapid fire rate made it a deadly weapon at close quarters; it was said that a single shot could kill three soldiers. The maximum effective range was around 400 m, with the capability of inflicting a casualty with armor-piercing ammunition well beyond 800 m.
In its time the M1's high fire rate made a decisive contribution to U.S. victories in WWII and the Korean War: the gun was described by General Patton as: "The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised".
- Fast firing rifle, long range, very powerful ammo
- Accurate model of historic weapon
- Detachable M7 grenade launcher
- Choice of three ammo bullets (CCS, Roleplay, Linden damage)
- Roleplay ammo works with DCS, Osiris, BNWCS
- Free updates for life
Quick start instructions
- Rezz the box, open it and copy the contents to inventory.
- Find the folder called '[Delta] M1 Garand v1.0'
- Wear the object called 'M1 Garand' (it attaches to the right hand) and the object called 'M1 Garand (slung)' (it attaches to the spine)
- Activate the gestures in the folder.
- What's in the box
- Using the gun
- Advanced features
- Voice commands
- Damage and statistics
- Hints and tips
1. What's in the box
In the folder you have unpacked you will find
- the M1 Garand
- the slung M1 Garand
- a set of gestures to simplify operation of the weapons
- a pose stand to help you fit the gun
The weapons gestures and voice commands are pre-set to Channel 5. Should you change this, the gestures will need to be modified to reflect the new channel. All voice commands referred to in this manual assume the default channel of 5
2. Using the gun
In these instructions it is assumed that you have the command channel set to 5.
To draw the weapon you may either:
- left click on the holstered weapon
- type /5draw in chat
- or press the Shift F11 key to engage the gesture
To fire the weapon, draw it, enter Mouselook by clicking on the mouselook button or pressing the M key while the main chat is disabled, and click the left mouse button. To exit Mouselook, press your Esc key or press the M key again.
To sling the weapon,
- type /5sling in the main chat
- or press the Shift F10 key to start the gesture.
The gun's capacity is 8 bullets. Because the bullets are mounted in a metal clip, the gun cannot be reloaded until it is empty, when the empty clip is ejected with an audible ping. You can reload as follows:
- type /5reload in the main chat
- press the Shift F9 key to start the gesture
As shipped, the gun reloads automatically when it is empty. If you prefer to reload for yourself, the command /5autoreload off disables automatic reload. However, as already stated, you will only be able to reload when the clip has been ejected.
To fire grenades it is necessary to attach the M7 grenade launcher. This may be done as follows:
- type /5m7 on in the main chat
- press the Shift F12 key to start the gesture
While the M7 is attached the gun cannot be used to shoot bullets. Grenades are fitted manually on the end of the launcher; to fit a grenade
- type /5grenade in the main chat
- press the Ctrl F9 key to start the gesture
Once a grenade is fitted, depressing the trigger will fire it. The M7 may be removed as follows:
- type /5m7 off in the main chat
- press the Shift F12 key to start the gesture
There are four bullets available:
|ccsb||CCS enhanced damage||For use in CCS sims|
|rpb||Kinetic damage||For use in roleplay sims where collision with a fast physical object causes damage (DCS for example). Kinetic ammo does 10 damage under CCS.|
|ldb||Linden damage||For use damage enabled land (where you see a heart at the top of the screen)|
To activate a bullet simply use the name as a voice command.
The grenade loaded will be the one appropriate for the combat system in use for bullets.
4. Advanced features
Changing weapon listen channel
You can change the channel on which voice commands are issued. Use the voice command /5channel N where N is the new channel
Touching the gun allows you to check the current settings of your weapon.
Information displayed includes:
- Gun name and version
- Active ammo
- Remaining bullets
- Autoreload status
- Voice channel
- Online help URL
5. Voice commands
By default voice commands are given on channel 5. You can change this using the /5channel command. If you forget which channel you selected touch the drawn gun and it will tell you. If you change the channel you will need to edit the supplied gestures.
All commands are case insensitive.
|draw||Draws the weapon|
|holster||Holsters the weapon|
|ccsb||Sets ammofor CCS sims|
|ldb||Sets ammo for Linden Damage|
|rpb||Sets roleplay kinetic ammo for DCS and other roleplay sims|
|m7 on/off||Attach/detach M7 grenade launcher|
|grenade||Fit a grenade|
|autoreload on/off||Switch on or off automatic reload on empty (bullets only)|
|recoil on/off||Switch the recoil animation on or off; it is on by default, if you find it distracting you may use this command to disable it|
|channel||Sets the channel for voice commands (default 5)|
|help||Gets quick reference card|
|guide||Opens this page|
6. Damage and statistics
- Bullet capacity: 8
- Time between shots: 0.5 seconds
- Time to reload an empty weapon: 3 seconds
- Bullet speed: 115 m/s
- Effective range of bullet: 200m
- Grenade speed: 45 m/s
- Damage radius of grenade: 5m
- Bullet base damage + 2.5% LIFE
- Grenade 10% LIFE
- Bullet and grenade RP system dependent
- Bullet and grenade 100 damage
All bullets are scripted in lsl rather than mono because of the overhead currently associated with rezzing objects with mono scripts.
Zoom in mouselook - Invaluable for distance work, press Ctrl-8 to zoom out, Ctrl-0 (zero) to zoom in and Ctrl-9 to reset it to normal. The zoom factor WILL mean the difference between hit & miss on far away targets. You get up to 13x nearer...
Don't forget to Ctrl-9 when done, it's really weird doing anything in normal mode at 13x zoom.
From your Client's menu, pick Edit > Preferences, go into 'Graphics', look for 'Draw Distance' and change this value to up to 512m for those far away targets. Just don't forget to change it back to the original value when you're done, as it takes a lot of machine resource to draw all the objects in a 512m wide area.
Please read the following before reporting a problem.
- My gun doesn't respond to commands! Did you change the voice channel? Click the gun to see what it is.
- My gun is stuck! Rezz a new gun from the product box. If you have lost the box you can get a new one by rezzing the certificate. If you have lost that too you can get one from a redelivery terminal.
- My gun isn't doing enhanced damage but I'm in a CCS sim Occasionally the CCS API server is offline. Make sure you are a member of the CCS Support group and check group notices.
- I tested my gun on Aragorn and it still does no CCS damage. CCS enhanced damage doesn't work on objects, only on avatars.
- I got a message starting INTERNAL ERROR Not your fault! Those should never happen. Contact support and give as many details as possible.
If you need to report a problem, please use the support board in the Delta shop. This will put you straight in touch with a member of staff if one is online and will allow you to leave an IM otherwise.
The model, sounds and animations were all made by Eric Boccara.